Football Team Meets Cornell In Fall of '54

Cornell will be added to the 1954 football schedule, the CRIMSON learned from reliable sources last night.

Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, would not comment of the story however. "We will announce the 1954 schedule at the proper time," he said. "That is next fall."

Reportedly, the development grew out of recommendations by Ivy League Presidents and Athletic Directors. Both groups met recently, but no official source has yet announced results of their discussions.

Tighter League

With the formation of the Ivy Group last year however, all Ivy colleges agreed to play each other in football at least once every five years. It is rumored that the Presidents will this year request even more cohesive Ivy schedules, aiming toward a goal of five games each year.

Thus, expectation are than Pennsylvania will also soon meet the Crimson, probably in 1954 or 1955.

Harvard and Cornell last met in 1951, when the Big Red triumphed handily, 42 to 6. This series began in 1980, and has been interrupted frequently over the years. The Crimson last win in 1916, but holds an 11-7 edge, due mainly to ten straight victories in the 1890's and early 1900's.

Captain Warren Wiley, playing his first game, broke his arm the last time the two teams met.