Quintet Posts Upset Victory At Princeton Monday, 71-49

Bill Dennis and Harry Sacks spearheaded the varsity basketball team to a 71 to 49 upset victory over host Princeton last night.

Saturday night, the Crimson blew a 16-point third-quarter lead, and lost to Army, 79 to 76.

Against Princeton, Dennis sank 23 points on ten field goals and three foul throws. Sacks followed with 17, giving him 47 points in two games. He scored 30 against Army, setting a new Harvard record for free throws.

Late Spurt Cinches Win

The Tigers, who trimmed the varsity, 83 to 53, earlier this month, stayed in the running until the last quarter.

Harvard raced off to a 17 to 14 first quarter margin. By halftime, the Crimson had widened the gap to 32 to 27, and at the third quarter, the score read 48 to 38. Then the five opened up with a 23-point splurge to sew up the win.

Crimson defense kept pace with its offense as Hal Haabestad, who hold's Princeton's one-game scoring record of 32 points, was held to 15. Fred Tritschler scored only 8.

Hannon Leads Cadets

Army's last period comeback in the Saturday game was in spite of Sacks standout performance. Of his 30 points, 20 were scored on foul shots. He shared the old Harvard foul shot record of 14.

The Cadets forged ahead, 69 to 68, with seven minutes gone in the final period. Although high scorer Bill Hannon fouled out, Army sustained its drive until the end of the contest. Hannon scored 35.

Following Sacks in the Crimson scoring against the Cadets were Ed Krinsky with 18 and Bill Dennis with 16