Record Number Run For Senior Committee

A record total of 71 seniors filed petitions for nomination to the '53 Permanent Class Committee, John Chatfield '55, Student Council member in charge of the election, announced yesterday.

Winthrop led the list with 13 petitions, followed by Eliot and Leverett, with 11 each.

A flood of petitions poured into the Student Council office on the deadline, February 21, because of the late announcement of the election date. Only 14 petitions had been received the day before.

Seniors will cast their ballots March 2 and 3, with Dudley voting at noon on both days, and the rest of the Houses at noon and evening meals on March 3.

The three men receiving the highest number of votes become Class Marshals, while the next nine serve under them on the Committee, both at graduation and in the later activities of the class.

Group Plans Reunions

"In addition to running the class graduation, the Committee organizes reunions and acts as a liaison with the University," Chatfield explained.

He called the field an exceptionally fine one, with the top men in the class running for the "highest elective position in the College."

The total topped last year's record by one. Chatfield was unable to explain the increase, other than by pointing out that the Class of '53 was slightly larger than '52.

Nominations for Class Day Committee will begin shortly and elections are scheduled soon after. The Class Committee is in charge of activities during Commencement Week.