'Cliffe Infirmary, Stillman Bursting Under Flu Influx

Flu and grippe cases have forced Stillman and Radcliffe Infirmaries past the overflow point for the first time this year.

With only one bed vacant for an emergency, the Radcliffe Infirmary said last night it was sending girls with slight fevers back to their rooms to subsist in blankets on aspirin. Otherwise, the eight-bed infirmary is full of grippe and flu cases all running a high temperature.

Meanwhile at Stillman, the infirmary early yesterday morning adopted a policy of returning students with slight fevers to their rooms. Several beds still remain empty but are being reserved for the more serious cases still coming in.

Both infirmaries said they expected most of the present cases to be out of bed in about three days, but that more flu victims would probably take their places.

To add to the congestion, both Stillman and Radcliffe report a continuing influx of mumps cases. Radcliffe has shipped its cases out to Boston hospitals, but larger Stillman has confined mumps patients to a private ward, further cutting down space available for flu cases.