Crimson Squash Team Overwhelms Yale, 7-2, Gains National Title

By Peter G. Palches

The varsity squash team--with an assist from Army--captured the national intercollegiate championship Saturday.

While the Crimson was trouncing Yale, 7 to 2, at Hemenway, Army knocked off previously-undefeated Navy, 6 to 3, at West Point. Both Harvard and Navy consequently finished the season with one loss apiece.

According to intercollegiate rules for such cases, the title is decided on the basis of comparative scores against mutual opponents. In unofficial calculations the Crimson has the edge, and will undoubtedly get confirmation on its championship when squash officials meet this weekend at West Point.

Ufford, Watts Unbeaten in 3 Years

Charlie Ufford and Dave Watts climaxed their three years of undefeated dualmeet play with 3 to 0 victories in the first two positions.

Against Yale's Bob Dewey, Ufford put on one of his finest exhibitions of crafty court play, winning by lopsided scores of 15-7, 15-5, 15-5. Ufford placed his shots so deftly that few volleys lasted more then ten shots. He broke into a run only occasionally, while sending Dewey scampering around in circles.

Spectators literally breathed down each others necks watching the Ufford-Dewey event. But Ufford so outclassed Dewey that it was essentially a dull match, and not until Ufford took his last point--a scant 20 minutes after play began--did the gallery break into applause.

Watts and Blair Murphy played next in the first court and provided these same spectators with the match of the afternoon. Murphy had a surprising ability to handle Watts' speed, and although he was never in serious contention, the Eli kept constant pressure on the play.

Brownell Wins In Upset

Number three man, Larry Brownell pulled the upset of the match dropping Yale's Sandy Ewing 15-11, 15-7, 6-15, 15-6. Hadden Tomes, playing in the fourth position, topped Johnny Busch, who was also favored, 15-12, 15-10, 12-15, 15-7.

The only two Yale victories came in the fifth and sixth spots Where the Crimson's Bill Wister and Charlie Elliott dropped 3 to 1 matches. After the first game, Wister's match was the closest of the afternoon, finally going to Bart Lachelier of Yale, 15-6, 16-14, 12-15, 18-17. Don Workman topped Elliot, 15-12, 15-12, 13-15, 15-8.

Both Johnny Rauh and Steve Sonnabend won 3-0, and Mike Ward, 3 to 1.

Any rumors that Yale was planning to juggle its lineup were definitely unfounded. The reference in Saturday's CRIMSON was intended only to point up Yale's underdog role