Annex Supports Petition Circulation; New Group Asks Student Testimony

Demonstrations Draw Criticism from HLU; Probe Foe Resigns

Radcliffe's Student Council backed the circulation of anti-investigation petitions in a special session yesterday, although it did not arrive at any final academic freedom stand.

Reaction to the "Combined Univer-versity Students' Committee on Academic Freedom" in other quarters, however, was not so favorable. The Liberal Union issued a statement attacking it, while a former CUSC leader withdraw from the organization because he was "disillusioned."

"Well Considered and Timely"

The Radcliffe meeting, called by Margaret B. Brown '54 and Cynthia Crawford '55, ended with the resolution that the "passing of the petition now in circulation by the CUSC is well considered and timely." The Harvard Student Council, in its Monday meeting, came out against the group's plans.

Lois Dickson '54, Council President, last night clarified the stand in another statement:

"We wished to indicate that we felt the Radcliffe student body should carefully consider the petition before it. While supporting the principle of Academic Freedom, the Council officially endorse does not all the particulars of this petition as its official statement.

"We are considering issuing our own stand on Academic Freedom within the near future." The vote on the resolution was ten to two, with two abstaining.

At 10 p.m. last night about 50 girls had signed CUSC petitions circulated in Radcliffe dorms.

"Stupid and Irresponsible"

The Liberal Union "was opposed to investigations of Communists in academic life, but was equally opposed to this sort of stupid and irresponsible action, like marching with banners, that can only discredit the cause of Academic Freedom."

Meanwhile, Theodore O. Cron 1G, claiming that "mass demonstration won't accomplish much," withdrew from the CUSC. Cron said that he tried to add amendments to the various motions at Monday's meetings, but was voted down.

"They were eager rather than agitators," Cron said last night. "I'm sorry I couldn't hold them in check."

"It was not a 'loaded' organization," Cron continued, "rather sincere but naive, drawing unnecessary publicity to Harvard."