Lacrosse Team Whips Delaware 7-3

By Walter W. Bregman

The plays worked, the defense clicked, and injuries were forgotten as Bruce Munro's lacrosse team beat tired but hard fighting University of Delaware squad on the Business School field yesterday.

Though the score was a fairly close 7 to 3, Munro substituted freely during the last quarter to give badly needed experience to his reserve midfields and defense. The Delaware team was outplayed throughout the game and went scoreless until 12:15 of the second quarter when a defensive lapse allowed a solo drive on Crimson goalie Steve Den Hartog.

Probably the outstanding play of the day was turned in by Crimson attackman Phil Waring, who scored four of the seven goals and set up plays skillfully around the net. Waring's attack mate Ed Curtis assisted on three of his goals and scored one himself to help spark the offense.

The Crimson ten took an early lead at 4:27 as Waring bounced a Curtis pass through goalie Pat Morris. At 9:55, mid-fielder Hank Wood picked off a toss from Captain Ron Huebsch 25 feet from the net, took two steps, turned, and fired in for the score. Skip Baldwin continued the drive at 12:50 when he grabbed a pass intended for attackman Monk Aiello and took advantage of the screen to backhand it in for the score.

With a 3 to 0 lead at the end of the quarter, Munro put in his third and fourth midfields. But this failed to halt the onslaught as Curtis scored unassisted at 4:22 and Waring followed 20 seconds later. Deleware got its first counter near the end of the half, and added two more in the third quarter, but the Crimson was not to be denied. The locals hit for another to end the scoring in the third period as both teams were shut out in the final quarter.

The Crimson plays its next game tomorrow afternoon against the Boston Lacrosse Club. The team already owns a 20 to 4 victory over the Boston Lacrosse Club in a practice scrimmage before the official opening of the season. The Boston team is composed chiefly of former college players.

The Crimson's overall record now stands at one win, four losses, and a tie. All five previous games were played on the recent Southern trip, with the team meeting Stevens, Princeton, Penn, Maryland, and Navy.