Masters Cut Parietals At Meeting Last Year

Perkins Says Decision Wasn't Made Public, Through Oversight

By J.anthony Lukas

An informal agreement among house masters restricting parietal hours on football Saturdays has been on the books for at least the past six months unknown to students, it was revealed last night.

In a statement to the CRIMSON, Elliott Perkins '23, master of Lowell House, said the agreement, which cuts the Saturday night parietal deadline from 11 p.m. to 8 p.m. during the football season, was made sometime last winter or early spring.

Through an oversight, Perkins said, the agreement was not made public. "We were crossing our bridges when we came to them, although looking back on it, it might have been handier to say something about it at the time," Perkins added.

Masters Meet Tomorrow

In their first meeting of the fall tomorrow night the housemasters will either reaffirm last year's agreement or possibly make some revisions.

At the same time, Perkins said, the house masters also agreed to cut the deadline in a house to the time at which a dance began in that house, regardless of the season. Individual housemasters did make this rule clear last spring when dance occasions arose in some houses.

Contrary to a statement made Friday by Ronald P. Ferry, master of Winthrop, the house master's dance ruling did not mean that parietal hours would end in all the houses as soon as a dance began in any one, Perkins said.

Confirmation on the football Saturday ruling was given last night by mason Hammond '25, master of Kirkland House, who admitted he had neglected to include the provision in the House Rules and Regulations for 1953-54. He posted it yesterday on house bulletin boards as an addition to the rules.