Sextet Loses Beanpot Tourney Final to B.C.

By John J. Iselin

The Crimson sextet proved a point last night: defensive hockey--even oft-times brilliant defensive hockey--doesn't win games. In doing so, the varsity lost the Beanpot final, 4 to 1, to Boston College before 3,000 spectators in the Garden.

There was no question of Crimson hustle last night, but Cooney Weiland's team was unable to match the sustained skating power of coach Johnny Kelley's B.C. sextet. The Eagles carried the attack all evening, but the score might still have been tied except for three costly Harvard penalties.

Only three skating offenses by both teams--as compared to 16 in the first B.C. contest--were recorded all evening, but each was on a Crimson player and each resulted in an Eagle goal.

Fiynn Excels in Goal

Sparkling goal-tending by sophomore Charlie Flynn, who put on perhaps his finest performance of the year for the varsity, held B.C. to even terms, as long as the Crimson was at full strength. His 29 saves, against 19 for the Eagles' Chuck D'Entrement, tells the difference between the two teams.

The varsity kept the game moving at a fast pace all night, but was just not able to get off enough shots to offset its penalty disadvantages.

Superb body-checking by the Harvard defense opened the scoreless first period, and superb goal-tending by Flynn ended it. Typical of his performance all evening were four straight brilliant rebound saves against a flurrying B.C. attack in the waning minutes of the period.

Wood Scores for Harvard

Captain Normie Wood put the varsity temporarily ahead at 1:02 of the second period by picking up Jeb Bray's pass back to the blue line, then boring through the Eagle defense, and whipping the puck past D'Entremont.

But hardly a minute later, with Bray in the penalty box, B.C. wing Jim Duffy swung behind the Crimson cage and slipped the puck past Flynn for his first of two goals. Then at 7:56, with Ned Bliss off the ice, center Bob Gallagher put the Eagles ahead with a bullet shot into the upper left-hand corner of the Crimson gail.

Only untainted Eagles score came on Bobby Babine's jump out of his own zone against long Crimson defenseman Ned Almy at 16:15 of the final period. The B.C. captain shot through Almy's legs,

past Flynn into the lower right hand cage corner to particular clinch the contest.

A final, desperate Crimson rally only resulted in one last penalty, this one to Almy for checking in the center some, and spectators on both sides started filling out Most people undoubtedly thought the cheer that went up at 19:59.5 marked the end of the game. Actually it was Duff's second and last goal.

In the consolation opener earlier in the evening. Boston University, which was edged by the varsity 3 to 2. Monday, topped Northeastern, 5 to 3, to take third place. The game tonight marked the final appearance of the hockey team until after exams. It will meet Northeastern on Feb. 2