Varsity, Yardling Swimming Teams Meet MIT Tonight

By L. THOMAS Linden

Undefeated varsity and freshman swimming teams will trek across Cambridge this evening as much to investigate their own potential as to meet M.I.T. The Yardlings take their plunge at 7:30 p.m., with the varsity following at 8:45.

Both Crimson teams put away easy victories over Brown last Saturday and should encounter no greater trouble in the Engineers' pool. The Tech squads have lost all of their meets this season.

M.I.T. has a fair varsity sprinter in Dan Hamilton, and Bob Jantzen is equally capable in the back stroke. But neither should well as Tech lost to a mediocre University of Connecticut team, 55-29, and beyond this pair the Engineers are weak.

Crimson Coach Hall Ulen will use the meet to further examine his team's versatility and test some of the boys in events they have not entered yet this year.

Ace breast stroker Dave Hawkins, who cracked the Crimson record for the 220 free style, will be allowed to swim his favorite event, the 150-yard individual medley, with marv Sandler. Jimmy Buffington will probably get a chance in the 50.

Yardlinge Are Stronger

Jim Jorgensen and Ted Whatley, both of whom swam the 220 against Brown but not against Springfield, will be retained in that slot since Ulen feels it makes them stronger in the 100. Ralph Zani and Dick Stenson will also repeat in the breast stroke, as will the Crimson's top back strokers Don Mulvey and Eric Ueland, in their specialty.

With the Yardlings' opener victoriously behind them, Coach Bill Brooks figures his team to be stronger than the M.I.T. freshmen. His squad spreadeagled the Brown meet.

John Lind, who came within two-tenths of a second of breaking the freshman record for the 50, will yield to Stu Ogden in that event and try his stroke in the 100. Pete Macky will repeat in the 150-yard individual medley, as will Bob Jaffe in the breast stroke and Paul Santemire in the back stroke.

Two good and most welcome divers, Fred Eaton and Art Martin, are practically equal off the board, and Chouteau Dyer is a capable 200-yard free styler.