SICK CHICKENS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Commenting on Attorney General Brownell's Chicago speech, Sen. Sparkman is reported to have accused Brownell of treating Truman "like a common chicken thief."

Our Attorney General merely recited the cold, indisputable facts surrounding Harry Dexter White (Harvard PhD '30),--facts which were verified in full by J. Edgar Hoover as well as by one of Sparkman's own fellow Southern Democrats. If Brownell's truthful account of the White case happens to conjure up in Sparkman's mind the picture of a thief taking even such an innocent item as a poor little chicken, well, then it's just too bad about the honorable gentleman from Alabama!

Now, there's probably more than one thief still hiding in our Washington chicken coop, and the chances are about 1 to 5 that each holds at least one Harvard degree. (That is the approximate ratio among those identified by witnesses whose testimony is set forth in the report: "Interlocking Subversion in Government Departments.")

But today, alas! when we approach the chicken coop and ask: "Who's there?", the customary answer is: "I decline to say, under the Fifth Amendment, lest I incriminate myself." In the old days the forthright reply used to be: "Dere's nobody here but us chickens!" Kenneth D. Robertson, Jr. '29