Kohut Leads Strong Brown Offense

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Harvard's two Ivy League defeats this year have been caused mainly by a pair of talented passers Claude Benham of Columbia and Bill Beagle of Dartmouth--but in both defeats the Crimson line easily stopped the opposition's week ground attack. Today, however, the Crimson faces a team which has an excellent passing attack, and an even stronger ground force.

Brown, which lost a last period 27-20 game to the Crimson last fall, has had its best season since 1949, when it was defeated only once. So far, it has compiled a five and two record, dropping games to Yale and Temple. In the process, the Bruins have raised themselves to the top of the League in offensive statistics.

Place-Kicking Weak

The Bruins opened their season with a solid 18-7 defeat of Columbia. At that time, observers were worried about Brown's place-kicking ability and their anxiety was realized a week later when Yale edged the Bruins by two extra points, 26-24.

Brown came roaring back, however, by swamping Rhode Island, 35-0. Princeton, undefeated at the time, with its ace Royce Flippin leading the League in every department, was edged by Brown, 21-20 the next week. No sooner had the Bruins gotten high recognition in the East however, than a weak Temple team upset them 19-14. But in its last two efforts, Brown has rebounded with a 34-6 defeat of Lehigh, and a 40-7 rout of Springfield.

Lead League in Offense

While the Crimson leads the league defensively, with Brown third, the Bruins are well in front of the league in offensive. It has rolled to an average of 352.1 yards per game, while the varsity has a fourth place average of only 223.7 yards.

The player probably most responsible for Brown's successful season has been the 5'9" senior quarterback from Ambridge, Pa., Pete Kohut. Kohut, who rose from sophomore obscurity two years ago, to stardom last season, leads the League in total yardage with a total of 603.

The Bruin signal caller, who has tossed six touchdown passes, is also 15th in the nation in passing percentage with a 51.2 mark. His main target has been a 6'2" senior, Harry Josephson, the starting left end.

T. D. Thompson, the fleet sophomore halfback from last year's team, has been sidelined for most of this season with various injuries, and it is doubtful now if he could even break into the starting lineup. Archie Williams, a 165-pound junior halfback from Springfield, and Vin Jazwinski, a 195-pound fullback from Whippany, N.J., have taken over the rushing leadership of the League. The former has 517 yards, the latter, 426. Matt Botsford of Harvard is third with 367.

Pearson Top Scorer

The fourth member of the backfield, if Thompson cannot make it, is Captain Ev Pearson. Pearson, who will have to fight for his starting position, is the top scorer in the League with 44 points, two more than Princeton's Flippin.

It was Pearson last year who failed to score the tying touchdown for the Bruins from the one-yard linelate in the fourth quarter.

Line Play Poor Against Yale

It is in his line, however, that Coach Al Kelley is worried. In the Bruins' 26-24 defeat to Yale, the Elis won up front, not in the backfield.

The most reliable lineman that Kelley has is a solid 200-pound center from Yonkers, N.Y., Mike Reilly. Next to Reilly, Kelley has a pair of senior guards, Bill Harris from Tarentum, Pa., and reconverted tackle Bill Klaess from Rockville Center, N.Y. Both boys weigh 195 pounds.

The tackles are Jim McGuinness, a 200-pound junior from Rumson, N.J., and John O'Brien, a 205-pound senior from Rockland, Mass. Joe Bianowicx, a 5'9" junior from Torrington, Conn., will be the other end opposite Josephson.