Fischer Leads Soccer Team To Sixth Straight Win, 5-2

The varsity soccer team won its sixth game in a row Saturday afternoon topping Springfield, 5 to 2, one the Business School Field.

Mary Weiss, Crimson inside right scored twice in the third period to assure victory after the varsity had staggered in a 2-3 half-time head. The Maroon out-shot the varsity, 32 to 3 in the first half.

Exceptionally fine goal play by the Crimson's Lindsay Fischer and the failure of the Springfield forwards to follow their shots aggressively held the visitors' score down in the first half.

Inside left Mauricio Toro gave the Crimson a 1-0 lead after five minutes of play on a solo break, and center forward Grey Hodnett knocked in a rebound two minutes later to push the varsity lead to two goals.

Springfield, which beat Yale, 2 to 1, came back to tie the score in the second period, as Crimson passing and tackling deteriorated noticeably. Shortly before the end of the half, right wing Bill Linglebach scored the winning goal, a long slicing shot from the deep right corner.

In the second half the Crimson again dominated play in the early minutes with Springfield coming back strongly.

The Yardlings edged the Brown freshmen, 2 to 1, on the second Business School Field Saturday morning for their eighth straight win. All the scoring came in the first half, with Ken McIntosh and Shad Tubman getting the Crimson goals.