8 Ivy Colleges Unlikely To Break With NCAA

TV-Football Question Expected to Cause Big Ten Secession

By Stephen R. Barnett

The Ivy Group will probably not join the Big Ten in breaking away from the National Collegiate Athletic Association next month over the issue of football television, Donald M. Felt, assistant director of Athletics, said last night.

The Big Ten's secession from the N.C.A.A., which has been brewing for several years, reached the point of probability last week when the midwestern league and the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference took directly opposing stands on the television controversy.

Meeting in New York, the E.C.A.C. endorsed the currently-established program of national control of football TV, while the Big Ten, meeting in Detroit, declared "the present system is entirely unacceptable."

Big Ten "Disturbed"

Observers predict, consequently, that the N.C.A.A.'s convention in New York on January 5-7 will see the final breaking-away of the Big Ten, and perhaps also the Pacific Coast Conference, in order to set up their own, more liberal, television policies on a regional basic.

The Big Ten is new "quite disturbed" about the existing N.C.A.A. policy, Felt commented.

Despite the threatened secession how ever, Felt said that the Ivy college who have also opposed the national TV program--but for reasons other than the Big Ten--will probably not leave the N.C.A.A. at this time.

"The Ivy Group is just not ready to break away and become independent," Felt said. He pointed out that the E.C.A.C. now provides all officials for Ivy contests, and that arrangements to get these officials elsewhere "have not even been contemplated."

Although the newly-formed Ivy Group has not yet formulated a definite policy on television, the eight member colleges have in general declined any offers to televise their football games. Last fall's Yale game "could have been sold," felt said. The offer was turned down, however, on the advice of the University's legal counsel, who thought that the N.C.A.A's policy of national television control might violate anti-trust laws.