Three Man Group Helps Study of Clearing House

Cole Thinks Action To Come in 6 Weeks

A special three-man committee of the New England College Conference has been working in an advisory capacity with the College Entrance Examination Boards studying a proposed scholarship clearing house.

The committee, headed by Amherst's president Charles W. Cole, and including President Pusey and President John Sloan Dickey of Dartmouth has been corresponding with the College Boards.

This means that the College Board proposals on the Monro plan for a scholarship clearing house, expected to come some time this spring, will probably apply to the 14 colleges in the New England group.

Ivy League Would Try Plan

Previously it had been learned that the College Boards' suggestions would be tried experimentally in the Ivy League and seven women's colleges.

Cole's committee was formed at a fall meeting of the New England colleges. Shortly after that, the College Board members voted independently to spend $50,000 for study of the clearing house. John U. Monro '34, Director of the Financial Aid Center, proposed the scholarship clearing house last year in an effort to end competitive bidding for potential Who's Who candidates among colleges.

"Right now we're just in the discussion stage," said Cole. "We had hoped to be farther along in plans. But we should have something very definite in six weeks."