Fairbanks States Passport Proves Red Charge False

John K. Fairbank '29, professor of History, yesterday answered Senator Joseph R. McCarthy's charges that he was an author of pro-Communist literature.

In a letter to today's CRIMSON, Fairbank, without mentioning McCarthy, made it clear that the State Department, after a review of his past, had allowed him to visit Japan in 1952. Subversives, by law, are not permitted to leave the country.

McCarthy had said last week that Fairbank was one of the "pro-Communist" authors whose books were found by his Investigating Committee on the shelves of the State Department's overseas libraries.

In his letter, Fairbank briefly discussed the series of reviews and hearings which preceded his receipt of a passport to visit Japan. He is an expert in Far Eastern History and went to Japan in connection with his work.

Hearings for Passport

Fairbank first applied for a military permit and a passport in April 1951. After being mentioned in a McCarran Committee hearing, Fairbank was refused a military permit, and his passport application lapsed.

He then asked for hearings by both the Army and the McCarran Committee. He testified before the former in March 1952, and before the latter in April 1952. In May of that year, after reviewing the records of both hearings, the State Department issued him a passport.

Fairbank will give one undergraduate course this semester, the "History of China in the 19th and 20th Century," in addition to his share of Social Sciences III.