Data Processing Program Started For M.S. Degree

A new one-year graduate program in Data Processing, centering around the use of electronic computers in accounting and other work for big business and industry, and leading to high-grade employment, will be offered for the first time in 1954-55.

The program, leading to an M.S. degree, is sponsored by the Division of Applied Science and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, in cooperation with the Graduate School of Business Administration.

Technical Emphasis

In the eight half-course schedule, emphasis will be placed on the technical features of both actual data processing and the operation of computers. Accounting and statistics courses, however, are also required.

The plan, largely the work of Howard H. Aiken, director of the Computational Laboratory, has been considered for several years. Early this year, the new courses, three in Applied Mathematics and one in Economics, were arranged within the Division of Applied Science. At the same time, Albert Haertlein '16, Associate Dean of the Division of Applied Science, was appointed chairman of the program.

Students holding bachelor's degrees from any recognized college or scientific school are eligible for admission provided they file a preliminary letter with the Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in the fall before they plan to enter the school. Applicants for next year's class will receive extra time to submit their entrance questionnaires because the program was just announced.

Good Jobs

In judging qualifications for graduate study in the program of Data Processing, the Committee on Admissions will consider the applicant's complete record of academic and other experience.

"The program has the approval of the American Management Association," said Kenneth E. Iverson 4G, who will teach a course in Data Processing, "and the great demand for men in this field assures their obtaining excellent jobs right after graduation."

Students in the Economics Department or in the Business School with proper mathematical preparation may register in any of the Data Processing courses with the permission of their departments.