HLU, HYDC Join To Pass Petition Against McCarthy

The Liberal Union and the Young Democrats will jointly circulate a nationwide anti-Senator McCarthy petition in the College and Radcliffe Dining Halls today. Earlier last week the Young Republications' Planning Board voted not to sponsor the petition.

A Bridgehampton, N.Y., lawyer, Bryan Hamlen, is nationally circulating this petition, addressed to President Eisenhower. It urges the President to "use his influence and authority to correct the abuses of certain Congressional committees, notably Senator McCarthy's."

Other Clubs Desired

Frederick J. Willman '56, president of the HYDC, emphasized that his club's endorsement of the petition with the HLU does not forbid other groups' endorsements. He said he hoped other political clubs would help circulate the petition.

The HLU statement asserted, "This is not a partisan measure. It is hoped that Republicans will support it as individuals and not regard it as politically unfriendly, despite the action of the HYRC in refusing to co-sponsor it."

In its statement has last week explaining the decision not to sponsor the petition, the HYRC said, "Our previous experience with petitions of this nature have found them to be totally ineffective." It went on to say that it would support the actions of President Eisenhower.

The HYDC last week attacked the HYRC for this refusal.

The petition has been advertised in the New York Times and has thus far drawn support from individuals or groups at 11 colleges.