Sen. Flanders Agrees to Address Young Republican Club on May 14

Senator Ralph E. Flanders of Vermont will address the Young Republican Club on Friday, May 14, HYRC President John W. Stephens '55 announced yesterday.

The Young Republicans invited the senior senator from Vermont here after he made a speech on March 10 accusing Senator Joseph R. McCarthy of being a "one man party" who is "doing his best to shatter" the G.O.P. The invitation came in response to charges by the Young Democratic Club that the HYRC could not "make up its mind" on McCarthy.

Stephens last night declined to comment on Flanders' speech of last Saturday, in which the Vermont senator called McCarthy's Milwaukee address of the night before a "magnificent speech in behalf of the Republican Party."

Speaking at Middlebury, Vt., Flanders said that "McCarthy could be a tremendous help to the Republican Party.... All he has to do is keep on making Milwaukee speeches. All will be forgiven."

In requesting Flanders to speak, Stephens congratulated him for his "wise, well-reasoned and constructive approach to a complex problem."