Baseball Team Ties Jumbos; 8-8 Tussle Called After 7th

Darkness fell on the varsity and Tufts baseball teams after seven innings yesterday afternoon, but not before the Crimson had made somewhat of a recoup for an 8 to 8 tie. Coach Stuffy McInnis used three pitchers--all of variable quality--in holding the Jumbos to eight hits.

Sloppy play put the Crimson behind in the fifth inning, when Tufts scored two unearned runs on four walks, a wild pitch, and an error by pitcher John Cooke. Only three consecutive be singles in the dusky bottom half of the seventh brought the varsity back to an even score.

With Andy Ward tied to the bench by a sore arm, Jim Fitzgibbons started for the varsity. After a walk, a single, and a sacrifices, Don Butters' triple drove in two runs to set the Crimson ahead in the first. Starting behind the plate for the first time this season, Dick Classy drew another single through center for an RBH, and a 3-0 lead.

Fitzgibbons held on through the second, as both teams scored twice. Then, in the third, the Jumbos went to work.

With men on first and second and no outs, John Arnold came in to relieve Fitzgibbons. Arnold loaded the bases, put two away, and then gave up a costly double which brought the score to five all. Cooke relieved Arnold and ended the inning.

Hitting Weak

Pitifully punchless before the pitching of Fred Gerulskis, the Crimson faded away during the next two innings while Tufts worked ahead to a three-run lead at the middle of the sixth. A cheap single by Billy Cleary put Cooke across in the bottom of the inning, and hits by Ed Krinsky and pinch hitters Bill Chauncey and George Anderson brought the team back just in time in the seventh.

The freshmen opened their season yesterday with an 8 to 3 victory over M.I.T. Forging ahead behind the pitching of Joel Bernstein, the Yardlings drove in three runs in the top of the first inning and never lost the lead. Bob McInnis took over to relieve Bernstein after five innings.

Coach Norm Shepard's junior varsity baseball team opens its 1954 season at 3:45 against the Newport Naval Air Station at Soldiers Field.