B.U. Tops Varsity Nine, 2-1; Freshmen Drop First Game

Despite a six-bit pitching job by senior John Cooke, the varsity baseball team lost to Boston University on Soldiers Field yesterday. The score was 2 to 1.

Cooke, making his first start of the season, pitched the full nine innings and yielded no earned runs. Coach Stuffy McInnis' squad made four errors, however, to allow both Terrier runs to score.

The win was the seventh straight for the undefeated Terriers, who previously defeated the varsity, 3 to 1, and are rated among the best in New England. The Crimson's record for the season now stands at three wins, five losses, and a tie.

Senior third baseman Ray Maesaka led the varsity, collecting two of the Crimson's six bits. The varsity's lose run came in the fifth innings on a 3single by short stop Hal McKinney, a forcoout, a walk, and Bill Cleary's clutch hit. The Terriers' runs came in the sixth and eighth innings.

Freshmen Lose

Meanwhile, the Yardling nine, playing at Holy Cross, lost its first game in four starts, 7 to 5. The freshmen rallied from a 7 to 1 deficit to score one run in the seventh, two in the eighth, and another in the ninth. The Yardlings had the bases loaded when a ground out ended the game.

Starting at first and connecting for a triple against the Crusaders was John Simourian, who was elected captain of the squad last Tuesday.

The only competition due for a Crimson nine today is the JV's 3:45 p.m. game against the University of New Hampshire at Soldiers Field.

Saturday, the varsity meets Princeton here, in its third Eastern League game of the season. After suffering a 10 to 5 loss to Navy in its loop opener, the Crimson edged out Columbia, 1 to 0, last weekend on a no-hitter by Bob Kessler and Nod Felton.