Net Squad Plays On Jeffs' Courts

The varsity tennis team plays on the Amherst courts at 3:15 p.m. today after knocking off its fifth straight victim, M.I.T., 15 to 0, here yesterday. Crimson Coach Jack Barnaby calls the Jeffs "a pretty good team. We're favored, but we'll have to fight to win."

Against Tech, second singles man Brooks Harris lost the varsity's only set of the afternoon. Troubled with blisters, the sophomore played barefooted for part of the match. At first singles, Ham Gravem defeated M.I.T. Captain John Melavas, 6-4, 6-3.

Below Gravem and Harris, the Crimson victors included Alex Haegler, Captain John Rauh, Gone Mann, Donn Spencer, Don Bossart, Conrad Fischer, Herb Stone and Terry King.

In the doubles of the previously twice postponed match, Barnaby used Harris and Gravem, Stone and King, Fischer and Mike Ward, Dan Mayers and Karl Purnell, and Frank Goodman and Mike Levinson.

Meanwhile, this afternoon the freshman tennis team will go after its first victory of the season when it visits M.I.T. at 3:30 p.m. Coach Corey Wynn will start Steve Gottlieb, Cal Place, Ben Hecksher, Langdon Smith, Doug Gardner, and Barry Boehm. Charlie Edwards and Dwight Davis will also make the trip.

The next matches for the varsity and Yardlings squads will take place Saturday, when both meet Dartmouth at Hanover.