Rudolph Halley Criticizes Progress Of Hearings on McCarthy Charges

The omnipresent McCarthy-Army hearings occupied most of the spotlight in Rudolph Halley's address on the role of the legislative committee counsel given before a Student Bar Association Forum yesterday afternoon.

The hearings have gotten far out of hand in terms of their specific objectives, Halley said. "If each side is allowed to explore thoroughly all its charges, there'll be no end of it."

"It's developing into a Donnybrook," the former counsel to the Kefauver Committee continued. "You're not going to get anywhere with endless questions on bias and motive. And that's what's happening here."

Halley praised the work of chief counsel Ray Jenkins, however, explaining that Jenkins is in a difficult legal position.

"He's a prosecutor and a judge without actually performing the functions of a prosecutor," Halley said. "So far he's done a pretty good job."

In discussing the investigatory duties of a committee counsel, Halley also defended the controversial trip to Europe made last year by Roy M. Cohn and G. David Schine, two principals in the current hearings.