Favored Swimmers Oppose Cornell Tomorrow in I.A.B.

The varsity swimming team will try to make it three straight victories when it faces a strong and improving Cornall in the I.A.B. at 8 p.m. tomorrow. The attempt should be successful, but not without some extremely close races and probably more broken records.

The freshmen plunge for their second pre-exam period win against St. George's School in a preliminary meet at 6:45 p.m.

Cornell has entered the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League this year for the first time and brings strength with it in the medley relay, sprints, back stroke, and individual medley that will definitely give the Crimson trouble. This strength centers around Robinson Ord, Captain Roy Swanson, and Pete Wolf.

Since Christmas vacation Ord has sprinted the 50 in 23.3 seconds and the 100 in 52.6. Both times are faster than anything the Crimson has produced this season, and what is more, according to varsity coach Hal Ulen, "If Ord is right, he can do better.

Swanson Versatile Threat

Behind Ord in the 50 is Engene Holman, who has covered the distance in 24.5 in the 100, Swanson is Cornell's second best, with 54 seconds his best clocking so far. But this is not the versatile visiting captain's best event.

Swanson has gone through the 150-yard individual medley in 1:88 this year and can hit 1:36 if he's fresh. He has does the 220 in 2:18, with teammate Ron Mansleski one second behind him, and is the butterfly man between Wolf and Doug Love on the Big Red's medley relay team that can touch out in three minutes.

Backstroke Toss-Up

Finally, Wolf will combine with either Jon Harris or Bob Browning to give the Crimson's Alan Rapperport and Paul Santmire a toss-up race in the 200-yard back stroke.

Though Cornell is not strong in the breast stroke, 440, or free style relay, Ulen may be forced to spread his key men in the events where the visitors promise trouble. The result will be close swimming in nearly all events and possibly record-breaking.

Yardling Coach Bill Brooks will be looking for improved time when his squad warms up the pool for the varsity. Ben Bowditch has recently returned from the hospital.