Princeton Raises Tuition to $1000 In Coming Year

Princeton University will raise its college tuition next year from $850 to $1,000. The increase follows a similar move by Yale last November.

Room rates at Princeton will also increase by approximately ten percent.

President Harold Dodds said that the increase was caused by "rise in the cost of supplies and services used by the University." Princeton late in November increased by $1,000 the salaries of all 215 of its full and associate professors.

The rise in tuition and room rates will more than cover the faculty salary increase. The rises announced yesterday are expected to bring in approximately $450,000 additionally each year.

Princeton officials explained the increase in terms of inflationary trends since 1940. The cost of living has gone up 92 percent since that year, while the college's present tuition is only 60 percent higher.

This years' increases in tuition at Princeton and Yale are the second in three years for both colleges. The 1952 increase at New Haven and Princeton was followed a year later by a $200 rise here.

No tuition increase is expected at Harvard in the near future, where the Faculty of Arts and Sciences finished the 1953-54 academic year with a credit balance of $100,000.

The increases at Yale and Princeton make the College the least expensive school in the Big Three.

One reason the Faculty finished in the black this year was the inclusion of the athletic budget as a part. When Harvard increased its tuition it also gave undergraduates free football tickets and athletic cards.