Crimson Soccer Team Wins Over Cornell, 3-1

By Adam Clymer

Don Beaver, Denny Little, and Lindsay Fischer scored no goals for the Crimson Saturday, but to them more than any others must go the credit for the soccer team's 3-1 victory over Cornell at the Business School Field.

After the booters had tallied their third goal at 3:50 of the second quarter, these three concentrated on breaking up Big Red thrusts, with Beaver and Little repeatedly riding the ball outside, away from goalie Fischer.

This was a satisfying and well-earned win for Bruce Munro's eleven in its home and Ivy League opener. Playing with a forward line weakened by injuries and illness, the team had to come from behind to win in the rain and mud against a Cornell squad that pressed the attack doggedly even when two goals behind.

That this attack produced no Big Red goals after the first five minutes was due largely to the efforts of Little, Beaver, and Fischer. Little, the left halfback, had to cover Cornell captain Wolf Preschel the outside right who has scored all the Big Red's goals this season. Little's aggressive tackling bottled up Preschel most of the afternoon and his technique of sliding to the ground to dislodge the ball from a forward's control was particularly effective.

Beaver, at right fullback, consistently turned the offense outside, and his deep kicks forced the losers to regroup their attack time and again.

Fischer played a fine game in goal, making two leaping stops on shots that looked like sure scores and smothering several shots to prevent rebounds, but some of the lustre was taken from his performance by a lapse that permitted the only Cornell goal.

That score came at 4:50 of the first period when Fischer overcommitted himself and moved far to his right to cover Luis Paez of Cornell. Paez then passed to Preschel in front of the goal, and when Fischer's glasses fell off, he was unable to get back in time to make a save.

The Crimson then took the attack. Dick Fisher tied it up at 7:35 when he converted a rebound of Shad Tubman's shot. Hank Holmes had set up Tubman with a long pass from the left.

Center forward Grey Hodnett put the Crimson ahead with his third goal of the season two minutes later when he kicked in a pass from Stacey Holmes, who added the final goal at 3:50 of the second quarter from a scrimmage in front of the Cornell goal.