Court Postpones Contempt Hearing Of Singer After Attorney's Motion

The contempt trial of Marcus Singer, ex-Harvard anatomy instructor, has been postponed at least until next January, it was learned yesterday.

Originally scheduled for yesterday, the trial was called off on the motion of Singer's attorney, Daniel Pollitt. Pollitt asked the court o wait for decisions in similar cases now being tried before proceeding with Singer's trial. Included among the outstanding cases is that of Leon J. Kamin, the former University research assistant.

This was the second time that Singer's trial has been postponed. He was first slated to take the stand in February of this year, but another motion by Pollitt delayed it then.

Now a zoology professor at Cornell, Singer was cited in 1953 by the House Un-American Activities Committee for refusing to discus hi associations in a Marxist Study Group in Cambridge during the war years."

At that time, Singer said he was willing to talk about himself but his "honor and conscience" prevented him from discussing others. He later also used the Fifth Amendment.