M.P. Reports Britain Will Follow America In Ear Eastern Policy

The Parliamentary Private Secretary to Sir Harold MacMillan told a Government class yesterday that the United Kingdom will "stand behind the United States on whatever course she takes in the Far East."

Hamilton W. Kerr, Conservative M.P. for Cambridge, spoke of six factors affecting British foreign policy in his address to the members of the Government 186 course of Bruce C. Hopper '24, associate professor of Government.

The adverse factors, Kerr said, were the "rise to power of the Communists, the new Asian nationalism, and the development of nuclear power." The good ones he listed as the "survival of the British Commonwealth and Empire, the resurgence of Europe, and the rise to power of America with its commitment to defend democracy."

Explaining Britain's position in the Far East, Kerr emphasized that "we don't like the Communists any more than you do." He said that his country's recognition of Red China was based soley on the fact that the Communists are in effective control of the government." Britain would not, however, back United Nations recognition of the Red regime "unless the United States wants it," he said.