Cornell, Again Off to Weak Start, Shows Good, Fast Backfield, Inexperienced Line

Last year when the highly touted Cornell eleven played host to the Crimson it was in the threes of an early season slump--one which continued for four straight defeats, the third loss being to Harvard, 13-12. But an inexperienced line suddenly began to jell, and the preseason Ivy League favorites reeled off five victories in a row to tie Yale for the championship.

Tomorrow, another strong Big Red team will face the varsity, with the same problems which plagued its predecessor. Again Coach Lefty James must overcome the handicap of a forward wall bolstered by only one letterman. And again Cornell seems to have gotten off to a slow start.

Instead of having lost its first two games, as a year ago, Cornell enters its first league game with a 1-1 record; the difference, however, stems not from improved play, but from the calibre of the opposition. While last year the Big Red bowed to Rice, a Southwestern Conference powerhouse, this year it just managed to ease by weak Lehigh, 14-7. Both seasons it lost to Colgate.

Cornell must, however, still be feared. Again rated as one of the teams to beat for the 1955 title, the Ithacans boast the potentially best backfield in the Ivy League. Five lettermen, three of them regular starters, are back, and with several outstanding sophomores, their depth surpasses that of the Crimson.

Quarterback Bill DeGraaf, who alternates as a passing and running back, presents the chief offensive threat. Fifth in total yardage among the league's backs last year, DeGraaf accounted for more than half the attack against Colgate, with 127 yards by passing alone.

Concentrating attention on DeGraaf, though, may be disastrous. For in the halfback slots Cornell has two of the fastest backs in the East, Dick Meade and Dick Jackson, both capable of scampering away for long touchdown runs. Meade was an All-Ivy League selection last year, while Jackson, the captain, led the team in a half dozen departments.

Fullback for tomorrow's game should be Bob McAniff, a local product from Salisbury, Mass., acclaimed for his speed and running exploits. A shifty sophomore, he displaced Cy Benson on the first team this past week. Reserve backs, who add to Cornell's fast alignment are Art Boland and Bo Roberson, both sprinters on the track team.

In contrast to his wealth of backfield talent and experience, Coach James has had to sort over graduates from the junior varsity and freshman teams to find a starting line. A lack of success thus far can be seen from the Colgate game statistics, which show all three touchdowns scored on the ground, and very little passing by the Red Raiders, who preferred to hit the line.

Two rugged ends make that position the staunchest on the line. Stan Intihar, an All-Ivy choice in 1953 but ineligible last season, stands 6'4" and 215 pounds. Equally good on offense and defense, Intihar looms as one of the best in the league, and with sophomore star Gerry Knapp, gives the Big Red two formidable pass receivers.

The other five positions, from tackle to tackle, are not secured permanently. At present at the tackles, Carl Berner, the only other non-sophomore probable starter, and Roger Garret have an edge over Frank Vadney and Bob Blake.