Head of ILO Stresses Importance Of Unofficial International Bodies

Individuals, meeting in a non-political manner, can do more to raise the living and working standards of the peoples of the world than a political body, according to the international head of organized labor.

David A. Morse, director-general of the International Labor Organization, delivering the Gustav Pollak lecture last night in Littauer Auditorium, called ILO one of the organizations "which can accomplish the objective of all world statesmen, elimination of the seeds of unrest throughout the globe."

Speaking on "The ILO in World Affairs: Some Problems in International Public Administration," Morse outlined the basic operations of the ILO and cited the problems which he faces as administrator of the organization.

The ILO approaches its primary mission--"to help lay the basis for social justice in an effort to promote world peace"--in three directions: it conducts research, promotes international agreements for minimum labor standards, and sponsors advisory missions on labor and social problems.

Among the areas toward which ILO action is directed are manpower policy, production, social security, labor inspection and administration, forced labor, discrimination in employment, and promotion of labor-management relations throughout the world, Morse stated.

In addition, Morse said that he has formulated a proposal calling for international action to abolish forced labor. He will present his plan, he said, for consideration at the annual ILO general conference in Geneva next June. Beyond stating that opposition to slave labor should be implemented in a formal worldwide convention, Morse declined to elaborate on his plan.