Police Deliver Parking Tags To 150 Autos

May Use Soldiers Field Lot for Cars

University police yesterday passed the 150-ticket mark in their campaign against overnight parking violations. They hinted, however, that any car parked more than four blocks from the nearest House will probably escape their glance.

Meanwhile, Charles C. Pyne, assistant to the Administrative Vice-President of the University, indicated that the large Stadium parking lot on Soldiers Field may soon be used to house the overflow of undergraduate cars.

Pyne said he would confer with Athletic Department officials today about arrangements for student use of the lot. The area holds up to 1,000 automobiles and could easily accommodate car-owners who cannot get space at the Business School, he added.

Cars Ticketed Twice

At the same time, Pyne promised to crack down on the University police for ticketing some student cars that already had Cambridge parking tags on their windshields. "We don't want anyone to pay twice for the same violation," he said.

Since both University and city police departments have been processing these duplicate tickets all week, however, it appeared that those students already double-tagged would indeed have to pay twice.

According to Captain Matthew J. Toohy of the Yard police, this week's campaign against overnight parking on local streets came at the order of both Cambridge and University officials. Of the 150 tickets issued so far, almost 20 are for second offenses and consequently involve $2 fines, Toohy said.

By the time a student collects four or five tags from the University he is not only paying $5 fines, but he can come up for disciplinary action by the Dean's Office, Pyne pointed out.

Toohy, in reply to claims that his men have no right to ticket cars parked on Cambridge streets, cited the section in the University parking regulations that reads: "Violation of the City regulations makes an offender liable to a fine for a parking offense by the University, as well as to penalties imposed by the City."