Sudden Death of De Voto Creates Gap Among Stevenson's Advisers

The unexpected death of Bernard A. De Voto '18 late Sunday night has created a gap among Adlai E. Stevenson's personal advisers, Seymour E. Harris '20, professor of Economics, said yesterday.

Services for the noted historian and author, a Cambridge resident, will be held at 2 p.m. today in Christ Church. His widow has asked that flowers be omitted and that friends make donations to the Nieman Fellowship instead.

De Voto was a speech writer and adviser on natural resources for Stevenson during the 1952 campaign. "Another person will probably be found to fill his place, but no one else is so articulate," Harris, an occasional Stevenson adviser, added.

Stevenson is expected to announce his candidacy for next year's presidential election at a press conference today.

Harris termed De Voto's death a "tremendous loss. He was a man with a tremendous amount of courage who led the fight to get the best development of natural resources without regard for the interests of any particular group," he continued.

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Francis Leo Higginson Professor of History, emeritus, called De Voto "a notable figure in our generation." He added that "some of us thought his forthright stands were very enlightened."