Dave McLean Will Captain Harriers in '56-57 Season

David G. McLean '57, of Leverett House and Watertown, N.Y., was elected captain of next year's cross country team yesterday by a near unanimous vote of team members. He will succeed Don French.

Ed Kolodny '57, of Adams House and Boston, Mass. this year's junior manager of the team, was elected next season's senior squad manager.

McLean has run on Crimson cross country and track teams for three years. Although hampered for most of this season by a bad ankle, he has finished consistently within the top five Crimson barriers. Kolodny has helped take charge of the managerial duties of the squad for the last three years.

Sunday, McLean finished 11th in the annual New England A.A.U. championship held at Franklin Park. Freshman Bill Thompson, wearing spikes over the partly iced course, finished ninth in the race and first of the Crimson runners who competed.

Alden Carpenter, Bob Holmes, and Erich Segal crossed the finish line 27th, 29th, and 34th respectively out of about 50 runners. Nick Costes and Jack Kelley, both formerly from Boston University, tied for first place, but the Boston Athletic Association won the race.