Improved '59 Eleven Will Meet Princeton

The Crimson freshman football squad has come up with an unexpected scoring punch in the last week and will meet Princeton as an equal at 10:30 a.m. on Soldiers Field. Since last week's surprising show of offense against Brown, the Yardlings have sharpened their attack in a week of running Princeton plays against the varsity.

Defensively, the eleven has also improved considerably. Although Coach Bob Margarita concentrated primarily on offense this week, the work on defense proved that the squad has learned much in the last two weeks.

The Tigers have only a mediocre 1-3 record, but the figures do not show the strength of the Princeton squad. It is strong in the backfield and deep in reserves. John Hyde, 155-pound tailback who scored three touchdowns in the Princeton-Columbia game, will present the major threat to the Crimson.

Margarita expects to meet a "typical Tiger freshman team--one that is good and will provide a tough test." He noted that the only basic difference in the two teams is the Princeton backfield depth.

Captain Larry McCully will start at center for the Crimson yearlings, Jim Keating and Glen Nelson at guard, Peter Briggs and Harold Anderson at tackle, and John Soucek and Warren Huff at end.

Starting in the backfield will be Dick McLaughlin at quarterback, Jim Bell at tailback, Stan Merkel at fullback, and John Allen at wingback.