HLU Can't Show Film to Pay $120 Ivy Cinema Debt

The Harvard Liberal Union, still $120 in debt to Ivy Cinema failed yesterday in an attempt to obtain permission from Dean Watson to reschedule "The Grapes of Wrath," in order to pay off the obligation.

Christopher Niebuhr '56, president of the HLU, explained to Watson the club's financial need, to be able to show the movie. He asked Watson to allow the HLU to stage at least this one film, to make up the money that the planned showing would have earned.

Watson, however, reaffirmed his Monday announcement that no films of commercial value can be shown by student organizations, with the exception of Ivy Films.

Only Group Hit

The HLU was the only group affected, as it has relied primarily on movies as a money-making source. Now deprived of its main source of revenue, the HLU will be forced to explore other possibilities, Niebuhr said.

Whatson said there was some chance of charging a membership fee for a closed movie series, provided the movies were at least ten years old, and of more artistic than commercial interest. "This would not make any money, though, as it would include only HLU members," Niebuhr commented. "The same applies for the documentaries we would be allowed to show," he continued.

Would Have Paid Debt

"Had "The Grapes of Wrath' arrived in time," Niebuhr said, "we would have been able to pay off all our debts, and have enough left over for operating capital. We hope, at least, to be reimbursed by the film company for the $50 we spent in advertising and rent," he added.