More Dudley Men Seek to Enter Houses

Whitlock Foresees Increase On Basis of Recent Trend

More commuters than ever before will apply for admission to the House next fall, Charles P. Whitlock, Senior Tutor for the Non-Resident Student Center, indicated yesterday.

Though Whitlock termed the prediction "a considered guess," he said that the trend established in recent years is to an increased number of House applications by undergraduates from the Greater Boston area.

The problem of integrating the non-resident into the social life of the College is being considered specifically by the administration for the first time, according to Whitlock. He warned, however, that there is little hope for and immediate solution, since, "the problem is so complex, I have no idea right now what steps will be taken."

Active College Life

Whitlock observed that in the past eight years, the percentage of commuters has declined considerably. Increased prosperity and the desire of commuters to take a more active part in college life after having sampled it once persuades more students to make the switch from the Commuter's Center. Unofficial figures show that more than 300 Boston area undergraduates currently are College residents.

"It's rather a paradox," Whitlock continued, "that as we make improvements to the Dudley facilities, more students move into the Houses."

Post-War Bables

The solution to the commuter problem "must be made in terms of the Class of 1969 rather than the Class of 1959, "Whitlock said, referring to the expected pressure of post-war babies now at the secondary school level.