Favored Crimson Swimmers Face Penn Tonight in Philadelphia Meet

The varsity swimming team should have little trouble in winning the first of three consecutive away weekend meets today when it invades the University of Pennsylvania pool at 3 p.m.

A much more difficult contest is in prospect for the Crimson freshmen when they meet Andover in the I.A.B. at 3 p.m.

Pennsylvania has one of its best teams in several years; the Quakers have won all their meets except those with members of the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League. They have beaten schools such as Lafayette, Rutgers, and Villanova, but they lost to Army, Cornell, and Navy, all of whom the Crimson has beaten. Penn beat by 12 points the Brown team which left Cambridge last Wednesday after a 72-12 drubbing.

The Crimson will not sweep every event, however. Penn has a powerful backstroker in Parland Johnstone, whose 2:17 over the 200 yards is one of the East's best times and three seconds better than anything the varsity can produce.

Cris Keller, "the best three-meter diver Penn has ever had," according to Crimson coach Hal Ulen, may well take a first. Walt Herman, with a five-minute 440, and Dan Steinman, with a 23.9 50-yard sprint, are the other Quaker therats.