Eli Swimmers Dominate Second Day of Easterns

N.C. State Second

NEW HAVEN, Conn., March 18--Yale, North Carolina State, Harvard, and Dartmouth in that order dominated the first full day of the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League Invitational Individual Championships at the Payne Whitney Gymnasium pool here today. It appeared through most of the meet as though the Elis would be shut out of first, but the Blue copped the final two events on the program to go with two seconds achieved earlier.

In the most exciting event of the evening, the Yale 400-yard free style relay team came from behind in the last lap to edge the Crimson entry and set a meet record of 3:27 flat.

Dartmouth's quartet jumped off to a fast start in the person of big John Glover, and Creight Hart held a slim lead for the Green at the end of the second lap. But the Crimson's Dave Hawkins and Chouteau Dyer were so close behind that number three man Jack Edwards was able to overtake Dartmouth's Dick Karslake in the next leg.

Meanwhile, Yale's Dan Cornwell, John Niles, and Captain Mac Aldrich had pulled up into second place, and the half-a-body length lead which the Crimson's Jim Jorgensen had going into the last lap was over the Blue and not the Green.

Jorgensen, despite a week-old cough, held onto his lead until the final turn, when the Elis' ace, Rex Aubrey, overtook him. Yale finished first by half a body length, the Crimson placed second, and Duke Hust brought Dartmouth home only eight tenths of a second later. The Crimson time of 3:28.1 is a Harvard record.

Jorgensen had earlier eased to a run- away victory over Yale's Dave Armstrong in the 220 with a 2:06.9 clocking against the Eli's 2:11.5. But in a tight race later, Dartmouth's Glover flew to a 22:3 meet record in the 50-yard sprint that upset Yale's Kerry Donovan and prevented the Eli from winning his third consecutive Eastern title for that event.

Donovan's second place time was 22:5. He finished ahead of teammates Rex Aubrey and Sandy Gideonse, each of whom were clocked in 22:8.

In the 200-yard breaststroke, which Hawkins did not enter, Yale's Bill Fleming again nipped the Crimson's Sigo Falk, but this time by more than he did in the regular season's dual meet at Cambridge.

Fleming and Falk both had identical 2:32.7 clockings in different trial heats, but the Eli placed third in the finals with a 2:33.3, while Falk's 2:34.1 was good enough only for a fifth behind Princeton's John Swabey. Swabey's 2.33 flat is actually three-tenths of a second faster than Fleming's time, though Fleming finished ahead of the Tiger.

Bob Mattson of North Carolina completely outdistanced the field in the orthodox breaststroke, winning with a 2:26.4. His 2:26.1 in the trial heats, however, breaks both the 2:26.9 intercollegiate record that has been applied for, and the Yale pool mark of 2:28.4 that Eli freshman Charles Hardin set two weeks ago