Publish or Perish

Although the Yale Daily News has long been an example of the leisurely approach to journalism, it did not seem that it would fall in with the advocates of the five-day week. The five-day week is typical of the welfare state, CIO and all that. We had always assumed the nation's oldest college daily was of sturdier stuff and would be truer to the spirit of the Entrepreneurial Age in which it was founded. But reading back over old issues, it seems that News has taken its lumps on Saturdays. It was on a Saturday that the News reported that thirty people had been food-poisoned at the Temple Street George and Harry's, a story that later had to be retracted, since everyone knew it wasn't the Temple Street George and Harry's at all. It was on a Saturday that notice of the Fraternity elections appeared, omitting Webb Wilson, Jr. '57, much to the dismay of Mr. Wilson's friends and of Phi Gamma Delta, which had elected him. Such injustice had to be corrected in a special notice a few days later. And, of course, it was on a particularly memorable Saturday last November on which the News predicted Yale would beat Harvard in football, 20-14.

Still, a few bumpy experiences should not have discouraged the editors so easily. Neither God nor Country operates on a five-day week. Nor does the world of journalism, since the desire for news does not ebb and flow with the das of the week. What will happen to Saturday cocktail parties, which have always featured equal parts Gilbey's gin and News gossip? The Men of Yale deserve the news on Saturdays. We have given it to them, and we intend to continue to publish a New Haven CRIMSON each Saturday, until the editors of the News face up to their responsibilities.