Yale to Consider Recommendations Of Study Committee Within Month

Within a month Yale will face the difficult job of considering the curriculum recommendations made by the Course of Study Committee, a faculty group which reports late in April on the state of University academic life, it was learned yesterday.

The report, over a year in preparation, has nearly completed the complex task of reducing to practical terms the general academic and extracurricular proposals made nearly two years ago by President Griswold. The flurry of controversy which followed the publication of his original "Plan A" and "Plan B" has now subsided.

According to Thomas C. Mendenhall, associate professor of History and a member of the faculty group, the Griswold report has already brought two significant changes to Yale:

1) The Yale faculty has been forced to think soberly about its role in the University and the University's role in the educational community.

2) The faculty has had to consider the complex teaching and research problems which have arisen while the College--still considered by alumni and faculty as the heart of Yale--becomes yearly more emmeshed in the larger University.

Results Justified

Mendenhall feels those two results have more than justified Griswold's proposals and the tedious work by the faculty committee. "We're getting to grips with the problems," he reported.

If and when the recommendations of the Study Committee are adopted by the University, they will not go into practice for at least a year. Among the basic problems the group has considered are: the relations of the faculty to College and University; the value of undergraduate extracurricular activities, which many faculty members feel are currently overemphasized; and the relations of undergraduate education to future professional work.

Mendenhall says no one around Yale seriously expects the adoption of all of Griswold's visionary proposals. He implied that the committee's recommendations would work within the existing academic framework.