Bequest to Aid Economics Dept. With New Chair

Separate gifts to aid in teaching Economics on both college and public school levels were among a total of nearly four and a half million dollars in bequests announced by the University yesterday. The actual total, $4,441,678, was received during the first three months of 1955.

The special grant for Economics study was an endowment for a new professorship in the field. The late Walter S. Barker, a Roxbury manufacturer, left provision in his estate for the establishment of a chair "chiefly for research in fundamentals, a work to which I have given much of my time."

For economics education on the public school level, Monroe C. Gutman '05, New York investment broker, has donated $50,000 to the Graduate School of Education for a comprehensive study of the best method of elementary teaching in the basic history of the United States government and economy.

The endowment fund will permit appointment of a new faculty member who will concentrate in training future teachers in history, political science and economics.

The new faculty member will supervise the practice teaching of more than 35 graduate students who annually earn Education School degrees in the teaching of Social Studies. He will also investigate and attempt to determine the proper content of the elementary social science course.