Councilmen Pass Two Ordinances In First Step of 'Operation Parking'

Councillor Edward J. Sullivan took the first step in his "Operation Parking" plan yesterday as the City Council passed two new ordinances limiting parking on several streets between Dunster and Leverett Houses.

The Council's action, one of the first to alleviate the city's parking problem, followed a near-fatal apartment house fire in Cambridge on Sunday night which meant over 50 residents fleeing before fire trucks could come close enough to extinguish the blaze.

Sullivan said the new ordinances will go into effect tomorrow, when the necessary street signs are posted and a special police officer will also be assigned to survey the district.

The orders are the result of Sullivan's voting with the citizens in the College poll and were first presented with the consent of all the involved residents.

At that meeting, Sullivan promised the citizens that under his proposal only non-residents in the area will be prosecuted.

According to the orders, parking will be limited to one hour between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Banks St. (easterly side), Athens St. (westerly side), Grant St. (northerly side), and Cowperthwaite St. (southerly side).

The three-man committee of Councilmen, which is scheduled to meet with University officials concerning the overnight parking problem in this area, has still been unable to confer because of a death in the family of one of the committee members.

Sullivan, also on this committee, indicated that overnight parking may be legalized on certain streets in this district for a trial period.