Final Plans Completed for Law School's John Marshall Bicentennial Conferences

Final plans for a conclave of more than 700 lawyers, teachers, and men in public life to consider whether John Marshall's ideals apply today, were announced yesterday by Arthur E. Sutherland, professor of Law.

Sutherland, chairman of a faculty committee which has arranged the meeting for Sept. 22, 23, and 24, on the 200th anniversary of the Chief Justice's birth, said that papers written by eight conference speakers will be mailed Wednesday to expected participants.

"The theme of the meeting is an exploration into the question of whether or not Marshall's ideals, in today's context, are still valid," Sutherland said.

Marshall was "known conspicuously for taking the greatest step in showing the branches of government must be subject to the provisions of the constitution," Sutherland asserted.

The conference, financially sustained by a Rockefeller grant, has attracted the current Chief Justices of three Western countries whose judicial ideals are similar to those of Marshall. The United States' Earl Warren, Patrick Kerwin of Canada, and Australia's Sir Owen Dixon have all agreed to give the major addresses.

Among the eight speakers whose papers will be released Wednesday for study by those expecting to attend are: Dean Bundy; Andre Tune, professor of Law at the University of Grenoble; John Lord O'Brian '96, Washington attorney; and Charles E. Wyzahski, Jr. '27, judge of the U.S. District Court in Massachusetts.

President Pusey will give the first and last addresses of the three-day conference. The four working sessions, at which participants will discuss the themes presented in the eight previously published papers, will conclude with a speech by Chief Justice Warren at a Saturday evening dinner in Memorial Hall.