Kirkland Takes Consolation Crew Race; Five Houses to Compete for Title Today

The Kirkland House crew yesterday won the consolation race to qualify for the House Championship event. The winning time for the mile course was 6:28.

Dunster House, which took the second heat in the preliminary races last week in 5:51.3, will be favored to win the final race today.

The Deacons although their time was over a half-minute slower than the Funsters, had little trouble in taking the consolation race. When Winthrop, in second place for the first half of the race, faltered after its sixth man's oar jumped the slide, Kirkland went on to win by two lengths over Adams. Winthrop finished third, followed by Dudley.

Leverett, winner of the first preliminary race with a time of 5:58.8, and Lowell and Eliot, second-place crews in the two heats, will also race today.

Comparative times between Kirkland and last week's top crews, however, do not show a direct relationship between the squads. Rowing conditions were reversed on the two race days.