Miles to Advise Alien Students

Carroll F. Miles, Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Dunster House, has been named both Counsellor for Foreign Students and Dean of Special Students for next year. He will also remain as senior tutor.

Miles replaces Captain Chester H. J. Keppler in the foreign students post and Reginald H. Phelps, associate dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, as Dean of Special Students.

The two posts are closely related, since over half of the "special students," those not under any particular branch of the University, are generally foreign students. As counsellor of foreign students, Miles acts as liaison between the students and the government, to be sure they comply with such regulations as visa and alien job laws.

A newly-organized student advisory program for incoming foreign undergraduates to supplement the faculty adviser's work should aid Miles in his new job. The International Activities Committee of the Student Council is now attempting to obtain enough student volunteers to set up the program.

A member of the committee yesterday explained that interviews with foreign students have shown that the present faculty advisory system is not adequate in helping the newcomer to adapt to the University community.

"Students have told us that they feel completely lost the first few weeks in Cambridge, and we hope that our system will solve this difficulty," he added.