Faculty Approves Motion to Merge Two Committees

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences unanimously voted to combine the Committee on Admissions and the Committee on Scholarships and Financial Aids into one group, it was learned yesterday.

Acting on the suggestion of Dean Bender, the faculty established a new Committee on Admissions and Scholarships with all the functions and powers of the two separate committees.

The combination involves no real change of practice, only one of organization, Bender said. "Many of the functions and members of the two committees were identical," he explained. "We are merely trying to make the administration of both programs more efficient," Bender added.

Cases Decided Twice

Before the reorganization, the work of the two separate committees has frequently overlapped, as half the candidates for admission also apply for scholarships. "It was foolish to have each boy's case decided twice, Bender said, "especially since the two committees sometimes made conflicting decisions." Under the old system, it was possible for a boy to receive a scholarship without gaining admission to the University.

Duplication in the memberships of the two committees also involved needless waste, Bender said. Five administrators served on both groups, including Bender, who was chairman of both. Often the Admissions Committee would meet to decide policy one night, and then many of the same men would meet with the Scholarships Committee to discuss similar questions the next night.

Bender hopes that the new plan will solve the problem of getting adequate faculty representation on the committee.