Baseball Team Wins GBL Crown; Places Three on College All-Stars

Although most of its players were studying in Lamont, the varsity baseball team last week clinched undisputed possession of first place in the Greater Boston League as the only other contender dropped out of the race. The nine also placed three of its standouts on the Greater Boston All-Star team.

The only other team with a chance for the title, Boston College just week suffered its second league loss and the varsity, with a perfect 5-0 league mark can now afford to drop its last league contest against Tufts on June 10 and still retain the championship.

In its last game, against Yale on May 21, the Crimson bowed 8-3 to lose the Eastern Intercollegiate baseball crown. The defeat, ending an eight game winning streak, set the Crimson's overall record at 16-3.

The best team in the Boston area, the varsity placed pitcher Andy Ward, third baseman Don Butters, and right fielder Matt Botsford on the 15-man College All-Star team.

Ward was chosen as the league's top pitcher on the basis of his overall record, although he possessed only a 1-0 league record. Botsford led the league in batting with a 417 average, while Butters hit 270 in league play and showed power by smashing three home runs during the entire season.

Carl B. Cordes '56 was selected manager of the baseball team for the 1955-56 season.