Chester Bowles to Give Godkin Lectures in '56

Former Indian Ambassador Will Select Subject Later

Chester Bowles, former United States ambassador to India and firm friend of the Far East, will deliver next year's Godkin Lectures, the School of Public Administration announced yesterday.

Bowles has not made any decision about the specific topic but expects to talk on some current situation in foreign affairs. Although no definite date has yet been chosen, the lectures will probably be in March or April of 1956.

After serving as OPA Administrator during the war, Bowles was elected Governor of Connecticut and appointed ambassador to India in 1951. His recent book, "Ambassador's Report," contains the observations of and conclusions from his three years in the Far East. Bowles' recent three-months tour of Africa and India helped provide material for a new book on foreign policy, which he is working on at the moment.

Follows O'Brian

Bowles follows John Lord O'Brian '96, who delivered this year's lectures on "National Safety and Individual Freedom, 1955." O'Brian replaced the late Robert H. Jackson, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, who had been scheduled to give the Godkin Lectures on the position of the Supreme Court. His prepared lectures will be published this spring.

The Godkin lecturer is chosen by the Dean and faculty of the School of Public Administration, subject to the approval of the Corporation.

First given in 1903, the lectures were named after Edwin L. Godkin, 19th century newspaperman and founder of "The Nation." They are normally given in Sanders Theatre, with accommodations for overflow crowds provided in Memorial Hall.