Heavy Crews Prepare at Red Top For Race Against Elis on June 17

Thirty-six members of the varsity, junior varsity, and freshman crews set up camp at Red Top yesterday in preparation for their June 17 meeting with the Yale heavies on the Thames River at New London, Conn.

The Crimson varsity and jayvee boats enter the concentrated two-week training period with their poorest record in several seasons; the Elis are favored in these two races but are underdogs in the freshman division, where they will face an undefeated Yardling squad, the best in the East to date.

In their most recent competition, the Crimson crews finished third behind Cornell and Penn in the Eastern Sprint Regatta, thanks to a victory in the freshman race. The '58 boat turned in the fastest freshman clocking in the EARC's three-year history on the Potomac. In the other divisions, however, the jayvees were edged out by Yale for second place, and the varsity was eliminated in the preliminaries for the first time in nine years.

But the varsity's record in the 2,000-meter sprints is not necessarily indicative of its chances in the four-mile grind at New London, for upsets have dotted the 104-year history of the event.