New College Type Planned; Pact Links Europe's Exams

9 Countries Agree to Unify University Entrance Tests

Nine Western European nations have ratified an agreement under which they will put their university entrance examinations on an equal basis, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural organization reported earlier this week.

Students who have passed the entrance examinations to a university in any one of the nine nations will have the right to enter a university in any of the other countries which are signatories to the pact. The interchanges, of course, will be limited by the capacities and policies of each of the universities involved.

The exchange agreement was signed in 1953 by four countries, Great Britain, Denmark, Luxembourg and the Saar. Recently, it was enlarged when France, West Germany, Iceland, Ireland, and Norway added their ratifications to those of the original signers.

While there has been some indications that the United States might consider becoming a party to the pact, American educational leaders feel that immigration policy and other restrictions would prevent any action in the near future.